Ecopetrol and Petrobras announce deepwater gas discovery offshore Colombia

Colombian company Ecopetrol and Brazil’s Petrobras confirm the discovery of a natural gas accumulation in the Uchuva-1 exploratory well, drilled in deep water off Colombia, 32 kilometres off the coast and 76 kilometres from the city of Santa Marta, at a depth of approximately 830 metres.

The Uchuva well is in the Tayrona block, in which Petrobras is the operator with a 44.4% stake and Ecopetrol has the remaining 55.6%.

The discovery is a result of the consortium’s actions to enhance their use of data through the application of new technological solutions in geology and geophysics, added to expertise in deepwater operations, said the two companies in a joint statement. The discovery also increases the likelihood that the consortium will further develop their exploration and production activities in the northern part of the Colombian Caribbean.

The companies will continue work in the Tayrona block, aiming to assess the dimensions of the new gas accumulation.

Kim Biggar

Kim Biggar started writing in the supply chain sector in 2000, when she joined the Canadian Association of Supply Chain & Logistics Management. In 2004/2005, she was project manager for the Government of Canada-funded Canadian Logistics Skills Committee, which led to her 13-year role as communications manager of the Canadian Supply Chain Sector Council. A longtime freelance writer, Kim has contributed to publications including The Forwarder, 3PL Americas, The Shipper Advocate and Supply Chain Canada.
Back to top button