A seafarer of a Vietnamese general cargo vessel was killed, while three others hospitalised after inhaling toxic fumes following a gas leak in the ship’s rice storage room.
The injured trio were rushed to a hospital after the ship arrived at Kota Kinabalu Port in Malaysia on Sunday. The Vimaru Pearl belongs to Haiphong-based Eastern Dragon Shipping. The ship was en route to the Philippines when it diverted to Malaysia with the medical emergency. The port deployed a hazardous material team to monitor the situation and to neutralise the leaked gas.