Director of Marine Transportation - Chicagoland
A rewarding career opportunity for a towing industry professional with operations management experience looking for a challenging and rewarding career in the Chicagoland area.
- Previous experience including: operating towing vessels (Upper Mississippi River System preferred), marine operations management experience in a Port Captain / Safety Manager role, and customer relationship experience is preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leadership of the Marine Transportation Department including marine crew, marine engineers, maintenance team and sales and marketing team.
- Manage operations of company owned and chartered marine assets - tugs and barges
- Manage and oversee all capital purchasing and fleet maintenance activities
- Manage and develop external relationship including all authorities, regulators, contractors, suppliers and consultants.
- Maintain a relationship with US Coast Guard and other enforcement/environmental agencies and ensure compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Maintain the company integrated vessel-facility security plan and all operational plans.
- Responsible for ensuring technical and personal development of the marine operations employees and crew.
- Accountable to maintain industry knowledge of best practices, new technologies and systems to improve the quality of efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Hold marine operations employees accountable to the environmental, safety and quality standards of the company.
- Seven or more years of progressively responsible experience in a marine operations role.
- USCG Master or Mate of Towing preferred, knowledge of the Upper Mississippi River System preferred
- BA/BS degree education at an accredited maritime college or other institution preferred but not required
- Strong leadership, customer service, organizational, and planning skills.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills (written, oral and listening) including conflict resolution skills.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office programs.
All candidates will undergo a pre-employment background check and a drug screen prior to receiving an offer of employment.