irector - Safety
The Safety Director is responsible for the implementation and improvement of Safety objectives at the company. Responsibilities include overall administration and implementation of the group’s objectives in conjunction with company goals and objectives to include teaming with supporting units to successfully achieve those objectives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the organization in implementation of new safety strategies designed to eliminate injury.
- Monitor, evaluate and ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods (both internally and externally) and procedures of stevedore vendor in relation to safety.
- Management responsibility for certifying stevedore contractor subscribes to company safety initiatives designed to eliminate injuries.
- Management responsibility for the services and activities of Record Retention.
- Promote a safety culture within the organization by training employees on safety topics, planning reward and recognition of safety achievements and publicizing safety goals, targets and initiatives.
- Communicate compliance resolution on matters relating to safety.
- Ensure all personnel involved with Safety are adequately trained to fulfill their assigned responsibility and make arrangements for training as needed.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned functional areas.
- Develop, administrate and control of the annual Plan for financial commitments and ensure that expenditures and funds are managed appropriately.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; maintain awareness of new trends and developments in the fields related to area of assignment; incorporate new developments as appropriate.
- Coordinate on organization-wide Safety Program.
- Directly supervise both supervisory and non-supervisory employees. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving issues.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Company in any necessary duties to achieve Company goals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Adherence to the Integrated Management System that covers Quality, Environmental,
and Safety (International Organization for Standardization) certifications.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities:
- Understanding of marine transportation and marine terminal operations preferred
- Knowledge of basic statistical analysis
- Ability to engage adult learners
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively
with and influence employees at all levels.
- Knowledge of applicable legal and other requirements
- Strong analytical and problem resolution abilities
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects
- Detail and deadline oriented
- Adaptable to rapid change
- Ability to work independently and handle ambiguity
- Results oriented with the ability to bring teams and individuals together to achieve
targets and goals
- Ability to facilitate group discussion
- Computer literate, with the ability to utilize standard software applications and be
proficient in Windows and MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Infopath, Visio and Excel).
Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree preferred
Certificates,Licenses,Registrations: OSHA certificate or safety certification
Ten years of increasingly responsible, related experience including four years of management, administrative, and supervisory responsibility.
Requires moderate use of personal computer (word processing and spreadsheets) for compiling reports, statistical data, composing memoranda and other similar documents.
Typically works in an office environment with adequate lighting and ventilation and a normal range of temperature and noise level.
Most work requires normal physical effort.