Our client (HQ in London) is an established global shipping expert who has developed and commercialised a fuel-saving renewable technology. The Electrical & Control Engineer is a newly created role within the company. Reporting to the Technical Director and working within a small but growing team the Electrical & Control Engineer will be leading the electrical, control and software design for the company's renewable technology systems.
To deliver the company’s Engineering design, development and innovation goals in relation to the marine electrical, control and software engineering design for the renewable technology systems.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the electrical, control and software design for the systems to achieve high quality, cost effective solutions
- Responsible for relationships with and management of Electrical and Control consultants/ suppliers.
- Prepare contract specification documents for the procurement and delivery of all electrical, control system, software applications including FAT sign off etc.
- Lead the development of instrumentation, measurement and data acquisition systems (including ship to shore communications to feed into future Condition Based Monitoring/ Digital Twinning).
- Deliver the product approvals and future Type Approvals for the Systems (Electrical part)
- Drive efficiency of the systems by quantitatively analysing benefits of various options
- Development of data gathering and data analysis techniques and methods to align with ongoing performance validation of the Systems
- Identify, document and present technical risk with appropriate mitigation measures
- Write, review and approve manuals and documentation to guide users through the operation and maintenance of the system.
- Troubleshoot customer issues to keep downtime to a minimum; attendance to vessels may also be required.
Education / Qualifications
- Degree in Electrical/ Control Engineering
- Actively studying towards Chartership
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven track record of contract delivery and confidence to sign off designs prior to manufacture
- Sound understanding of vessel electrical systems, integration and Class Rule requirements for Plan Approval (Electrical Part)
- Experience of electro-mechanical design for marine applications including electric motors and VFD drive control (programming capabilities and hardware selection)
- Experience of instrumentation and data acquisition / monitoring systems
- Experience of working collaboratively with third parties, ideally including shipyards and designers
- Experience of various ship power options and main engine control e.g. D/G, MSB and Shaft Power
- Experience with Type Approval processes and testing requirements for Marine Equipment
- Experience working on board for installation, commissioning and troubleshooting of electrical/control systems on ships
- Programming capabilities and experience of specifying software development projects
Personal Qualities and Competences
- Clear written English
- Strong verbal communication skills, including adapting to the audience
- Co-operative approach
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Creative/innovative approach – able to apply knowledge and experience effectively to new situations
- Confident in own expertise with willingness to listen
- High attention to detail and thorough approach
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic “start-up” environment
- Willingness to travel: for business meetings with ship owners and designers; occasional travel for longer periods (3-4 weeks) for first-in-kind implementations may also be necessary
For more information please contact Senior Consultant, Rhiannon May on 020 3746 3746