HSQE (HEALTH, SAFETY, QUALITY, ENVIRONMENTAL) MANAGER
The Steamship Authority is seeking to fill the position of HSQE (Health, Safety, Quality, Environmental) Manager who will be responsible for the SSA’s day to day leadership of its Safety Management System, ensuring that its vessels are being operated in a safe and secure manner while meeting all regulatory and contractual requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities include: lead the HSQE Program to be consistent with the SSA’s mission, strategy, and core values; supervise and assign duties, to outside contractors in accordance with SSA policies and applicable laws and regulations; ensure that the SSA’s Safety Management System is effectively implemented, understood, maintained and continuously improved by all shore side and vessel staff and ensuring compliance with and certified by recognized authorities; promote awareness to all shore side and vessel staff of the need to operate the vessels to the highest standards in compliance with all applicable laws and industry standards and according to the SSA’s Safety Management System; reports directly to the General Counsel and serves as the communication link for the vessels with regards to all matters of Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental concerns ensuring that adequate resources and appropriate training are made available for compliance with the expectations of the SSA’s Safety Management System; ensure regular HSQE statistics are reported and full investigations of all accidents and dangerous occurrences are prepared and presented to management; monitor whether non-conformities, deficiencies, corrective and preventive actions are correctly applied and followed through as well as verifying effectiveness of such actions; prepare and supervise the program of internal audits within SSA’s administrative office and onboard all SSA vessels, monitoring the timely implementation of all drills and audits of the SSA and its managers.
- Lead the SSA’s HSQE organization consistent with the SSA’s mission, strategy, and core values.
- Supervise and assign duties to outside contractors within the HSQE Program in accordance with SSA’s policies, applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensure that the SSA’s Safety Management System is effectively implemented, understood, maintained, and continuously improved by all shoreside and seagoing staff and remains in compliance with and certified by recognized authorities.
- Promote awareness to all seagoing staff of the need to operate vessels in compliance with all applicable laws and industry standardsand according to the SSA’s Safety Management System.
- Report to the highest level of management and serving as the communications link for the vessels with regards to all matters of Health, Safety, Quality, Environmental Protection (Designated Person Ashore).
- Ensure that adequate resources and appropriate training are made available for compliance with the expectations of the SSA’s Safety Management System.
- Ensure regular HSQE statistics are reported and full investigations of all accidents and dangerous occurrences are prepared and presented to management.
- Monitor whether non- conformities, deficiencies, corrective and preventive actions are correctly applied and followed through as well as verifying effectiveness of such actions.
- Prepare and supervise the HSQE Program of Internal Audits and onboard all vessels, monitor the timely implementation of all drills and audits of the SSA and its vessels and ensure that audit results are reported to management. Monitor the timely implementation of all drills and audits of the SSA and its vessels and ensure that audit results are reported to management.
- Ensure that the SSA’s safety management control documents are properly approved and/ or authorized prior to issuance.
- Prepare agenda and keep minutes during Management Review Team Meetings
- Monitor regulatory and practical developments in matters of health, safety, quality, and environmental protection for timely implementation.
- Support the Commercial, Vessel Operations, Technical, and Legal departments in safety related matters, including interfacing with clients, underwriters, industry organizations and regulatory authorities.
- Head the management review team (refer to management review procedure).
- Head the Emergency Response Team (refer to emergency response plan).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ambassador and role model for the HSEQ function with an engaging communication and influencing style able to work with all levels of the business.
- Proven ability to influence and to lead, develop and inspire an operational business unit in complying with HSEQ strategy and policy.
- Aptitude to collaborate with the leadership teams to help ensure a collective vision that extends beyond health and safety systems and compliance and focuses on our people and their behavior to help create a positively reinforced safety learning culture.
- Provide functional direction to specialist practitioners in the HSEQ disciplines.
- Promote and implement continuous improvement in safety and compliance.
- Work collaboratively across the HSEQ function, wider business functions and operational delivery teams.
- Support and promote a culture of safety in a complex business with effective use of project management skills to ensure managed delivery.
- Work with diligence and professionalism and in doing so can command support and respect from senior directors.
- Demonstrate persistence and overcome obstacles; Measure self against standard of excellence; Take calculated risks to accomplish goals; work well under pressure, meeting multiple, sometimes conflicting deadlines.
- Produce consistently high quality communications (such as presentations, reports and emails) with experience in the delivery of health and safety training.
- Speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and clarify; Respond well to questions; Demonstrate group presentation skills; Participate in meetings.
- Write clearly and informatively in English; Edit work for spelling and grammar; Vary writing style to meet needs; Present numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Expert knowledge of Auditing, Behavioral Safety Systems, Risk Analysis, Emergency Response, Incident Command, Incident Investigation, Injury Case Management, Safe Working Practices, international and domestic maritime regulations, flag state, and classification society regulations.
EDUCATION AND REQUIREMENTS
- Acceptable technical and educational experienced as approved by executive management which may include the following:
- Experience as a Mariner.
- Experience leading HSEQ delivery within a large and complex operating business.
- Academic Degree in a related field.
- Proficient in MS Office and Excel.
- Auditor Training.
Competitive salary and fringe benefit package. EOE. The Steamship Authority has engaged Flagship Management to conduct an executive search to fill this position. Interested parties should contact Craig Johnson at Flagship Management email@example.com