ABOUT THE COMPANY
GMS is the world’s largest buyer of ships & offshore assets. With over 25 years of experience in the maritime industry and offices in more than eight countries, GMS continues to expand its global presence and establish itself as a highly respected market leader. In addition the Company offers a unique culture where transparency, openness and excellent growth opportunities are at top of the list.
We are looking for an experienced and qualified In-House Legal Counsel to join or team in Dubai
The incumbent will serve as an In-House Legal counsel primarily advising on complete array of legal matters related to shipping litigation and disputes, sanctions and trade issues. The position reports to the CEO of the Company.
Typical Job duties include:
- Managing legal affairs of the company, which includes SNP and charter party contracts and disputes, MOA, insurance and vendor agreements, ship financing contracts/documents and other commercial matters.
- Provide sound legal advice to SNP, Operations, Chartering, Finance and general corporate structuring and commercial advisory for the company.
- Prepare new procedures and guidance for interpretation in future cases called for by changes in statutory law, international law, national policy, and court decisions.
- Advice on international and domestic treaty, statutory and regulatory matters including environmental, safety, labor, sanction laws and similar maritime issues.
- Instruct external counsels in various international jurisdictions on current litigation matters.
- Develop company policy and position on legal matters by providing guidance on legal matters, including agreements, transactions, regulation, claims and litigation.
- Prepare and review service agreements in different jurisdictions and deal with tax exemption issues.
- Attend international conferences / seminars/ or meetings relevant to legal matters.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years’ legal experience in the admiralty/maritime field working with external law firms and resolving disputes successfully is ESSENTIAL.
- Past employment as an in-house legal counsel for a ship owning group is DESIRED.
- Excellent command over verbal and written English communication skills.
- Extremely organized with strong multi-tasking and management skills.
- Strong negotiation Skills.
- Ability to work after office hours.