Directs the daily operations within the Machine and Valve departments. Responsibilities include meeting production schedules, maintaining resources and addressing training needs within the department.
All Machine and Valve Shop personnel, to include Asst. Superintendents, Lead people, Specialist, 1st - 3rd Class Mechanics, Handypersons, and Helpers.
- Supervises the activities of Machinist and Valve personnel directly or indirectly to maximize efficiency and productivity of supervisors and production workers.
- Responsible for resolving issues with regard to day-to-day operations.
- Confers with Director of Production, other Superintendents and Subcontractors to coordinate work schedules and prioritize work.
- Ensures that machinery and equipment are properly maintained for efficient production and eliminates wasteful practices within the department. Responsible for identifying improved methods, and efficient and economical utilization of materials. Orders new equipment and material as needed for ongoing jobs.
- Conducts ship checks to ensure adherence to company policies, safety standards, and good housekeeping practices and on time performance. Provides assistance to the estimating department in developing cost estimates.
- Develops department procedures and training outlines. Establishes accountabilities and goals used for performance evaluation and conducts training.
- Maintains good employee relations practices within his department and takes corrective action as needed.
- Performs hiring and release of department resources to maintain production schedule demands.
- Maintain training records within the department.
- May use hand tools and instruments associated with the trade.
- Ability to investigate CAR (Corrective Action Request) and provide clear response.
- Perform other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 12 years of related work experience to include 10 years of management responsibilities.
- Minimum of two years of Technical School.
- Must have in-depth knowledge of NAVSEA and MSC standard items. Ability to interpret blueprint and technical documentation.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to motivate others.
- Basic computer skills.