Our client, a large ship-owning company, is looking for an experienced Maintenance Superintendent to join their office Jamaica.
General duties and responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Ensure that all equipment (mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical etc.) are operating and available to full capacity to meet the needs of the operations department
- Develop and execute systems to evaluate the status of all the terminal’s current fleet of mobile equipment, using a thorough knowledge and understanding of terminal OH&S procedures and rules
- Minimize equipment downtime in support of operations by responding quickly to breakdown situations when applicable
- Determine what percentage of the fleet can be rehabilitated cost effectively
- Develop a thorough system of maintenance throughout the entire life span of each piece of equipment to eliminate failures
- Create,update and monitor database of equipment status
- Create teams to methodically troubleshoot all the terminal's container handling equipment (STS Cranes, Straddles, Forklifts, Terminal Trains, Road Heads)
- Create teams to methodically troubleshoot all of the terminal's support equipment
- Ensure that the respective teams carry out planned maintenance on equipment and contribute to continuous improvements on machines and processes.
- Manage the preventative maintenance programme for the repair and modification of machines
- Target quality issues with improvement projects focused on removing root sources of defects
- Identify and resolve recurring problems using cross-functional teams
- Ensure the transfer of skills and competencies to all local team members
- Continuously monitor and manage team members' performance to ensure that knowledge transfer has taken place
- Ensure the safe and effective utilization of all workshops and workshop support equipment
- Provide the senior management with weekly progress reports
- Assist with the preparation of the annual engineering, operational and Capex budgets
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or similar
- A minimum of 10 years' engineering experience
- A minimum of 2 years' maintaining specialized container terminal equipment
- In-depth knowledge of container handling equipment, specifically ship to shore cranes, straddle carriers and reach stackers.