Production Engineer / Structural-Mechanical Engineer
To provide accurate and on-time engineering and design drawings that support the construction of commercial steel vessels. The general goal is to provide a smooth flow of functional structural and mechanical design documents to production disciplines supporting overall manufacturing activities and specification compliance. Primary focus shall be hull structure, mechanical interfaces and systems design schematics. Assures proper technical interface between Shipyard and regulatory bodies (e.g. ABS, USCG, etc.). In addition, maintains proper design documentation and associated design revision details.
- Produce sketches, plans and accurate finished construction drawings for new construction.
- Design drawings will include, but not limited to; structural, mechanical systems, machinery arrangements, electrical, piping systems and vessel outfit design.
- Create detail design drawings and documentation based on customer’s current specifications and relevant regulatory requirements.
- Manage major equipment vendor furnished information and provide technical interface for systems design.
- Professionally interfaces with production, purchasing, management, customers, suppliers and regulatory authorities.
- Assist in resolving production issues throughout the construction of the ship.
- Monitor and maintain assigned departmental core deliverables while meeting or exceeding required drawing schedules.
- All other related projects and tasks, as assigned.
- 5 or more years of marine vessel engineering and design work experience.
- Four year engineering degree preferably with a focus on mechanical/structural, marine engineering discipline, or naval architecture.
- Must have solid understanding of ABS and USCG regulations.
- Must have good analytical skills along with a strong mechanical aptitude.
- Must be comfortable working in both the office and on production shop floor, as position and task requires.
- Solid computer skills: Microsoft office skills to include Outlook and Excel. AutoCAD 2-D required. Background in Rhino-3D is strongly preferred.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team based environment, as well as work independently.
- Must be able to multitask and prioritize conflicting priorities appropriately to meet schedule.
- Ability to effectively communicate in writing and verbally.
- Ability to work overtime on an as need basis.
- Must be able to work for extended periods at a pc work station.
- Must be able to work throughout the shipyard, and on vessels including heights and tight and confined spaces.