As a member of the marine group based remotely in South America, the right candidate will seek out, develop, and close new business and direct account sales in the deep-sea, offshore, and inland marine shipping segments.
This is an excellent opportunity for a self-starter who has gained a solid foundation in sales and wants to deliver outstanding results based on accountability in an entrepreneurial environment. This career development position is best suited for candidates who are not afraid of a challenge and are interested in continuing professional growth by developing new markets and customers with the industry’s highest quality products.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop new customers through proactive prospecting (hunting) in complex markets based on research, outreach including cold calling, referrals, information sharing, ‘customer problem identification’, product demos, etc. to develop relationships and turn prospects into satisfied customers. Applies effective time management to those activities.
- Service and grow existing accounts by developing positive ongoing relationships with customers, understanding their business and purchasing needs, developing sales strategies to gain customer’s understanding of company’s products/services/capabilities and closing additional business.
- Cross-functional communication is a must in order to support your customer base.
- Pipeline management and keeping the CRM system up to date is required.
- Maintain and develop product and technical knowledge within the marine lubricant industry and offshore markets
- Contribute to the overall team effort and other commercial activities / projects may be assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- BS/BA from a 4-year college/university is preferred
- Shipboard engineering experience, including diesel engine maintenance, is highly desired
- At least 3 years of successful outside sales/new business/market development experience
- Value-added selling experience to B2B (Business to Business) customers
- Experience in inland marine, offshore, or deep-sea marine is preferred.
- Knowledge of current global shipping trends
- Experience in selling chemicals and or lubricants is a plus
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
- Ability to build relationships at all levels of an organization both internally and externally
- Proactive, customer service, and problem-solving mindset
- Outgoing, action-oriented personality with positive attitude who must be able to work independently as well as a in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize activities and initiatives towards achieving goals.
- A desire to achieve results and naturally overcome obstacles!
- Strong reporting, communication and organization skills.
- Proficient in MS Office and good data analysis capabilities in support of sales/purchasing trend analysis.
- Other key skills: new customer prospecting; attention to detail; exhibiting a facility with “numbers”.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to work remotely
- Ability to manage and coordinate multiple tasks on multiple projects.
- High level of organization.
- Position is in a home office setting, requiring 8+ hours per day of sitting, walking, and standing. Occasional lifting, bending, stooping, reaching, balancing are job expectations.
- Ability to physically travel.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
- Minimum 50% travel, including overnight stays, to meet customers, prospects, influencers, etc.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
- Computer and peripherals.