Senior Electrical Design Engineer
Remote work / work from home
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Responsible for designing new or modifications to existing electrical and electronic systems, and overseeing the construction, modification, and repair of marine craft and floating structures.
- Develops electrical design proposals and drawings which supports calculations such as load analyses and short circuit studies.
- Implement electrical design standards and procedures while ensuring the port, state, and class societies regulations and procedures are adhered to.
- Write and review electrical specifications for ship new construction, modification, and/or repair.
- Perform systems /equipment and vendor evaluations.
- Provide electrical engineering project support as needed with clients, equipment vendors, and shipyards.
- Provide direction and support to marine electrical designer team members and maintenance and repair crews at various locations including offshore and marine support facilities.
- Provide technical support for shipboard and land-based testing, investigations, diagnostics and repair of electrical systems, and electronic systems.
- Prepare, revise, and/or review technical manuals, engineering operating procedures, instructions, specifications, and standards documentation for cognizant equipment and systems.
- Ensure primary consideration is given to Health, Safety, and Environmental issues in all activities undertaken within areas of responsibility.
- Bachelor's degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or a related field; or a combination of post high school and equal experience may be substituted for education.
- 5+ years experience as an electrical engineer with working knowledge of marine electrical designs and systems.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Ability to evaluate process effectiveness and develop change or alternatives.
- Ability to review project work, quantities, costs, accuracy of specifications, completeness, and constructibility.
- Ability to interpret architectural/engineering drawings, specifications, codes, standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Familiarization with marine international rules and classification society standards.
- Must have a comprehensive understanding of marine power and control systems.
- Comprehensive understanding of power system management and vessel control systems functions/ responses and the ability to systematically coordinate recovery from transient or sustained period power system failures.
- Ability to fully trace, trouble-shoot and coordinate repair of power systems, control systems and interfaces.
- Broad based knowledge of diverse power distribution systems, relay and PLC based control systems, variable frequency drives.