Salvors have found the human remains of three of the four missing crewmembers onboard the fire stricken 15,000 teu Maersk Honam boxship. Maersk said it now assumed that the missing fourth seafarer was also dead taking the death toll to five from the huge fire that ripped through the bow of the one-year-old ship last week.
“Our most heartfelt condolences go out to families of our deceased colleagues. We share their sorrow and do our outmost to support them in this devastating time,” commented chief operating officer, Søren Toft in a release issued on Monday.
A thorough search onboard the Maersk Honam continues. However, the active search and rescue mission at sea will be brought to a halt.
Two other men who had been in intensive care at a hospital in India are showing signs of improving.
“Our colleagues that were evacuated to local hospitals in varying conditions of health are improving and we are now preparing to bring them back to their families as their condition allows,” said Palle Laursen, chief technical officer for Maersk Line.
The India Marine Police is conducting a routine investigation of the incident, and they will be interviewing all crewmembers.
The Indian Coast Guard has hinted that the fire was a chemical one leading to questions once again about hazardous goods onboard.