Repsol announces massive gas find off Trinidad

Repsol announces massive gas find off Trinidad

Spanish energy giant Repsol says a huge gas find offshore Trinidad is the biggest it has made in five years and the biggest ever off the Caribbean island.

The discovery, made at the Savannah and Macadamia wells in the East Block of the Columbus Basin, is estimated to contain 2 trillion cubic feet (2T cf). The wells lie to the east of Trinidad in a depth of around 150m of water.

Repsol is the junior partner (at 30%) in the exploration consortium BPTT, while British supermajor BP holds the other 70%.

Drilling is expected to begin in the second half of 2018.

Donal Scully

With 28 years experience writing and editing for newspapers in the UK and Hong Kong, Donal is now based in California from where he covers the Americas for Splash as well as ensuring the site is loaded through the Western Hemisphere timezone.

Related Posts