Shell makes big oil discovery in Gulf of Mexico

Shell makes big oil discovery in Gulf of Mexico

Supermajor Shell says it has made a big oil discovery in the Gulf of Mexico, southeast of New Orleans.

The Dover well discovery, made in a water depth of 7,500 feet and a total depth of 29,000 feet 170 miles offshore, is Shell’s sixth in the Norphlet play.

It is located just 13 miles from the multibillion-dollar Appomattox platform that had only recently arrived in the area from Texas.

The successful well could be a tieback to the Appomattox unit, which is expected to be fully running in 2019.

Shell owns 79% of Appomattox while Nexen Petroleum Offshore holds the other 21%.

Donal Scully

With 28 years experience writing and editing for newspapers in the UK and Hong Kong, Donal is now based in California from where he covers the Americas for Splash as well as ensuring the site is loaded through the Western Hemisphere timezone.

Related Posts