Cobalt hits oil in Gulf of Mexico exploratory well

Cobalt hits oil in Gulf of Mexico exploratory well

Houston-based oil exploration firm Cobalt International Energy on Wednesday revealed it has found oil at its North Platte #4 appraisal well in the US Gulf of Mexico.

Preliminary results of drilling operations show that the well found around 650 feet of net oil pay.

That’s more than was found at the company’s North Platte #3 well which was 550 feet.

In a release, Cobalt said it is preparing a geologic sidetrack to further analyse the eastern flank of the field.

Cobalt, the operator, has a 60% stake in the North Platte, with the other 40% held by Total E&P USA.

Donal Scully

With 28 years experience writing and editing for newspapers in the UK and Hong Kong, Donal is now based in California from where he covers the Americas for Splash as well as ensuring the site is loaded through the Western Hemisphere timezone.

Related Posts