China Merchants eyes greater stake at Colombo port

China Merchants eyes greater stake at Colombo port

Shanghai: China Merchants Holdings, the port investment subsidiary of China Merchants Group, is in discussions with the eSri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) over investment in the East Container Terminal which is currently under construction.

China Merchants Holdings is looking to take over 49% equity shares in the container terminal, while SLPA will hold the remaining 51%.

China Merchants is preparing to expand its investment in overseas ports in a response to the recently released ‘One Belt, One Road’ initiatives from Beijing which vows to enhance trade connectivity in the Eurasia region.

China Merchants now holds 85% of Colombo South Harbour, which is the largest project operated by a foreign company in Sri Lanka.

Jason Jiang

Jason is one of the most prolific writers on the diverse China shipping & logistics industry and his access to the major maritime players with business in China has proved an invaluable source of exclusives. Having been working at Asia Shipping Media since inception, Jason is the chief correspondent of Splash and associate editor of Maritime CEO magazine. Previously he had written for a host of titles including Supply Chain Asia, Cargo Facts and Air Cargo Week.

Related Posts